The HOMER software has helped tens of thousands of people around the world get clean, renewable energy. We are growing and hiring creative, dedicated individuals who want to be part of a dynamic team. Although we usually prefer to hire locally, we will consider applications from anyone willing to move to Boulder to join our team. If you are a self-starter and a great communicator, we may also, on occasion, hire at a distance and allow you to work from home.
HOMER Energy is located in the center of Boulder at 30th and Walnut, directly across from Twenty Ninth Street, a short distance from the University, and on major bus routes. Our website is located at http://www.homerenergy.com.
Applications are accepted only for currently open positions.
TO APPLY: Send a cover letter explaining why you are a great fit for the position, along with a resume, to email@example.com. All positions are open until filled.
HOMER Energy is seeking a Flex software engineer to help us complete an in-progress Air RIA application that is mission critical. This is a full-time, permanent position.
- Extensive experience with developing complex Flex/AS3/AIR applications.
- Knowledge of Flex architectures including knowledge of MVC frameworks. Design Pattern experience desired.
- Experience developing enterprise-level applications.
- Experience deconstructing and reengineering an existing application to improve performance and stability.
- Excellent English speaking skills.
- Middle tier development experience preferred, developing Blaze DS to Web Services a major plus.
Please highlight your specific experience with each of these in your cover letter.
Renewable Energy Analyst/C++ Programmer (Brochure)
We seek experienced renewable energy engineers with concrete experience in C++ software engineering and a passion for bringing clean energy to the world.
- Work with HOMER customers and management to define and clarify specifications for new and custom software versions and editions
- Maintain and expand library of renewable energy components within HOMER, including clarifying customer needs and specifications
- Design and code new versions of HOMER based on customer and internal needs
- Contribute to and help lead team development of architectures involving multiple technologies and platforms
- Masters or Ph.D. degree in mechanical engineering, computer science, electrical engineering, mathematics, operations research, economics, or equivalent experience
- At least two years’ experience working in C++
- Demonstrated interest in and experience with renewable energy
- Excellent written and spoken English communication skills
- In depth knowledge and experience programming in C++
- Multi-threading, API, service architectures
Download a brochure on this position
Software Engineer - All Levels
HOMER Energy is hiring Software Engineers at all levels. The more experience you have with our specific needs and platforms, the more likely you are to be a fit for this position. The ability to communicate extraordinarily well, to plan and to execute, to work with a small team using agile principles, and to produce clean, creative code are also key pieces of the equation.
The software and platform: The HOMER software is a simulation model that was designed at the National Renewable Energy Laboratory to aid in early-stage design of specialized power systems that incorporate renewable energy with other forms of generation. HOMER is world class, with over 70,000 users worldwide, growing daily. HOMER Energy has rearchitected the software in preparation for its release as Software as a Service and to make improvements that will better meet the needs of our broad customer and client base. Most important is a hard-working, highly productive professional with a software craftsman attitude.
Specific platforms used, in rough order of importance:
- Ruby on Rails
- web services in general
- ecommerce shopping carts
- commercial software releases
- cloud-based server management
- general IT asset management
Excellent English speaking skills required.
Software Engineering Intern
- Assist software development team with ancillary duties including creating builds, testing and QA
- Opportunity to assist with code development based on skills and interest
- Degree or pursuing degree in computer science or related field
- Prefer strong interest in renewable energy
Compensation: Commensurate with experience and appropriate for internship
Systems Administrator and IT Manager
HOMER Energy seeks a part-time Systems Administrator and IT Manager for our small, mixed environment shop. We manage multiple cloud-based and physical servers through various vendors, and a variety of websites built on different technologies (Ruby on Rails, Java, Apache, Wordpress, PHP). We also need to manage our local IT infrastructure, systems, backups, etc., which is growing and changing.
This is a part-time position, approximately 5-10 hours/week. We are open to contractors but greatly prefer someone in the Boulder area who can meet with us. We are also open to a full-time or part-time employee who would have other duties in the areas of software QA, build, environments, software development, and other IT areas. It will likely require a 1-2 week familiarity and setup period learning about our existing systems and future plans. After that it should be part-time, with variable hours.
- Strong background in systems administration
- Experience managing or building as many of the following as possible:
- Amazon web services servers
- Hosted Linux and Windows servers
- Apache, Ruby on Rails, Apache Tomcat
- Security frameworks, https:, security certificates
- Cloud-based backups
- Local backups and shared drives
- Windows, Macintosh, and Ubuntu
- Development environments
Compensation: Commensurate with experience and situation
Best hourly assessment tool for hybrid renewable electric generation systems in the world – bar none.
Dr. Jan F. Kreider
Building Systems Program, University of Colorado, USA